Friday, November 7, 2008

Sadness




I have felt so much sadness since yesterday when I watched via the Internet, protests taking place in LA after the passing of Prop 8. I don't really want to delve into politics on my blog but I can't help but express some feelings that I had watching this go down. I was saddened by the posters that I saw. "Mormons, Go to Hell." "A California without Mormons is what we need." My sister who lives in California called and said her sister in law was stuck at the LA temple because of the police presence and protesters. They weren't letting anyone on the temple grounds, and she was in the paking lot behind the temple not sure if it was safe to leave or if she would even be able to drive out because of all the road closures and traffic. The protesters were marching through West Hollywood and their destination was the LDS Temple. I had such a waive of emotions come over me as I saw the helicopter film the enormous and beautiful temple with thousands of protesters and police with their lights on right outside the fence. What a dichotomy between the peace that the temple is and represents, against the screams and shouts and police line on the grass outside the temple. I thought of the day Aaron and I were sealed in that very temple. I thought about the poor brides that were to be sealed that this week-end mist all the chaos. I feel so sad that there is so much anger. As a member of the Church and from all I've seen from watching the coverage and talking to friends and family that live in California, the yes on prop 8 supporters were exercising their right to disagree and voted according to what they believe. That does not makes those people hate mongers, or bigoted or evil. I am grateful that tonight I can go with Aaron to our temple here, and take a moment to feel the peace that the temple can offer.

7 comments:

Ali said...

I was really touched by this post Jamie. Doesn't it make you feel so thankful that you are able to stand on the right side of that fence? I hate the idea of anyone defiling the sacred grounds of the Temple, but no matter the curses they utter, 'no unhallowed hand can stop this work from progressing!' I swear... when the prophets of old saw the end of the world, the calamities, the wars and rumors of wars... they were watching similar scenes to the ones you saw. That's what I think. Bring on the second coming. That's what I say!!

Rachel said...

I can't believe the very people who are trying to spread 'equality' act this way and turn around and defile other people's belief systems. I am so sad the world is coming to this. I pray for all the LDS members and the investigators who know the truth that they are protected by the spirit and that they can be strong.

Shannon said...

Wow, I had no idea that was going on. We live in a sad world and it will probably only get worse. I too am grateful for this church and for my belief.

Anonymous said...

I hear you! I was so upset to see how awful people could be in such a special place; they must have forgotten that God was watching . . .

Kristy E.B. said...

We are definitely in the last days. It scares me to think these things are happening. The scripture "Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness sake" comes to mind....

Gina woodhouse said...

It's sad to see they even though our church was part of a coalition, we are being singled out and their anger is directed towards us. Remember the prophecies about the saints being persecuted in the last days... it's just beginning.

~Fawn said...

you know how this goes in my life Jamie with my ex and all-my being LDS is just making him hate me more because of prop 8 now too.
I am glad I have people around me like you that feel like I do-it helps me stay strong in my beliefs, even though I suffer greatly for them with my children
I'm gonna miss having you as my VT partner!!!
keep in touch!
hugs
Fawn