Monday, August 29, 2011

fun in the sun... camping with friends

*Caution: Picture overload, they're all worth looking at though :)
This past week we had the chance to go camping with several of our best friends from Oregon.  Aaron and I have often commented on how much we love living in Rexburg, but that how we never feel like we are going to have the kind of friends that we had in Portland.  While living there our friends were our family and we miss them all terriblly. 

Many know that I was not too excited when I first heard about this camping trip.  Short background is that Aaron planned this camping trip  months and months ago without talking with me first.  It was not that I wasn't thrilled to be going to see our friends, it was the 12 hour drive in the car each way that was the road block in my mind. Also, at the time Aaron sprung the idea to me Carter was not sleeping through the night, and all I could picture was me trying to calm a screaming baby in a tent in a quiet camp-site. Yikes. Also the camp site was first come first serve and I was terrified that we would drive all that way and we couldn't even get a spot. Most people who know me well know I am a bit of a worrier and a control freak (I am working on that one ) and there were just too many things working against me to want to make this trip.  Obviously we went after many many long conversations with Aaron working though all my fears, him agreeing to sleep with Carter, and my dear friend Ciara offering to shop for, and bring food for our family so we didn't have to haul 4 nights of dinners 800 miles, I agreed. The trip there was surprisingly good but still very long. The last 4 1/2 hours of the drive were slow through windy canyons and I get very very car sick. Another reason why I don't travel well.  We were so happy to arrive to our great friends and plenty of camp sites to choose from. We spend our days boating, eating, applying sunscreen (It was hot), trying to get our babies to take naps, swimming, applying more sunscreen. eating more, boating more and then crashing at night.  I couldn't find my camera for a few days so I feel bad I didn't get pictures of all our great friends but I still think I did pretty good! Enjoy!
This picture is my favorite of the trip
Herbie and Brooklyn in their "Awkward prom photo pose"
Getting ready to head out on the boat
Maisy was such a trooper with her cast on

The Gals
Lisa, Rachel, Julie, Ciara, me and Melissa (There were so many that I wished could have made it )
Rachel, Chad, Ci, Nora, Herb, Naomi and Jeremy

Nora and Carter had so much fun with this little pool
For some reason Carter kept eating the dirt. We found it in his diaper for days



"Stick em' up!"
You had to really watch out for Brooklyn and her stick
Anna and Grace
Brooklyn, Grace, Anna and Maisey
Me and Ci

Filthy, dirty, tired family shot


Some of the men

Carter practicing the javelin
The men spent a lot of time doing this
Aaron teaching Carter about fire safety

 The men went out one night shooting. Probably the highlight of the trip

 Rachel and me getting ready to battle it out on the tube

Overall it was a great trip..... we just wish the kids would have done more of this!  We were glad to get home to a shower and a washing machine.

5 comments:

Kristy E.B. said...

Loved all of the pictures. Looks like you guys had a fabulous time! I so wish I could've convinced Wes to go...he had all of the same reasons for not going that were holding you back. Hopefully it'll happen again next year!

Melissa said...

I'm just grateful Aaron was persistent and didn't give up! My only regret was not getting there sooner, we had so much fun. It was so great to see everyone again...just like old times! You sure took some great pics, I'll have to post more.

Adrianna said...

Missed you guys, but I was miserable enough where we went camping- and it was only 2hrs from here, shady, had a pool, a camper to sleep in, and probably much cooler. I probably would have just been cranky(ier) the whole time. :) You guys have dang cute kids, too. The pictures are all so great! Anyway, maybe we'll catch you guys on the flip-side. Or maybe next time, you can drive 12 hours and come here, instead! :)

Michelle and Judson said...

Cute J, it does look like you guys had fun, and how fun to see your old friends! I bet Carter did have a hay day with all that dirt and slime haha

Each Life that Touches Ours for Good said...
This comment has been removed by the author.