Monday, April 4, 2011

because I have a moment

At the very moment I wrote the words to the title I heard Brooklyn cry out and then a sound a mother never wants to hear....

projectile vomiting

Oh geeze laweeze
It came out of nowhere poor thing.  Good thing Aaron was home from work and could help me gather clean clothes, a warm washcloth to wash her face, clean sheets, and help calm her down. It could be a long night. A very long night.  

Motherhood is never dull 

Mom on her way back from Italy, brought home Ruby, an adorable 3 month old Malti-poo puppy. She is only going to be 4 lbs full grown and is just the cutest thing you have ever seen.  She looks like one of those toy dogs you'd get from Target and put batteries in. Poor Chipper goes crazy each time mom comes over with her. I'm afraid Chipper must think she is a big rat that she wants to pounce on.
Brooklyn has pretty much adopted Ruby and won't let her out of her site.  The other night Brook came out and had one of her dolls dresses on the dog. Good thing Ruby is so compliant!
 Brooklyn was learning about pirates at school and was able to dress up.  She was so excited and looked adorable eye patch and all!

Brooklyn you make me smile constantly. You are full of energy and spunk.  You love preschool and are excited to start kindergarten but seem apprehensive about riding the bus.  You are a bit of a homebody and love to just hang out.  You've told us on several occasions that when you grow up you want to be a cow girl, but you still want to live at home with me.  You love to see all the animals that are near our home. The cows, horses, and your favorite bird, the magpie. You still come in and get in our bed almost 5 nights a week. It makes me a little crazy but you've learned dad is a softy and you go to his side.  We've signed you up for t-ball as well. It will be interesting to see how you do.  
Oh Anna, where do I begin.  Let's preface this by saying I've read a book recently called,

"How to set limits with your strong willed child"
(It is very good.... if you are interested click HERE)

That pretty much sums up how things have been lately. You have a will of iron and you pretty much test everywhere you can. I did find some peace when in the book it said that if you can channel your child's strong will for good, than they will be strong leaders who will stand up for what they believe in and will not be swayed.

That is my hope and prayer.  I try so hard to channel your energy for good. You do well in school although you tend to want to be in a rush. I have to remind you during your homework to slow down, write neatly and try to do things right the first time. You are participating in a school play next week and couldn't be more excited.  You've recently lost your top 2 teeth. The latest one came out during recess when a little boy you were pushing on a swing accidentally hit you in the mouth.  I don't know what it is about loosing teeth that makes you look so grown up all of a sudden. 

You also started piano last week from Nana. You are doing really well, despite becoming frustrated quite quickly when you make a mistake. I hope that Piano teaches you patience and persistence. 
You've also become so creative recently. It is a good thing we buy tape in bulk at Costco because you go through so much. You love to create with paper and write stories.  You also love to plan your own family home evening lessons. It is so sweet to watch you teach about the simple gospel truths you know. We love your sweet spirit in our home!


Carter Wayne.... how we love you.  You are 8 1/2 months old now and keep us so busy. You have been crawling for months now and love to pull yourself up on anything you can.  You seem to be turning into a little boy right before our eyes.  You are such a happy little boy (accept when you are teething, even though you still have not cut any teeth) and love to be held.  I fear I spoil you a bit.  You are still nursing quite often which I love.  There are times when I am ready to be done, but I love the calories it burns, and your sweet little face looking up at me while you eat.  You love rice cereal, carrots, squash, and bread.  You hair is coming in quite thick now and we still can't decide what color it is going to be. Some light it looks red, other light, brown or blond.  Time will tell I guess.  I feel lucky to have you as a son. 

This is a picture I took one morning on the way to take Anna to school. When we bought our home we didn't want Anna to have to switch schools again so I've been driving her back into town to the other elementary school. I have to admit it isn't ideal, but it is worth it.  Most mornings it is a fight to get Brookie into the car and I usually have to wake Carter up and I hate that.  The other day though I thought about all the good that has come of it.  During that time I can talk with the girls about what is in store for the day, quiz Anna on her spelling words, and our most recent favorite, listening to and learning primary songs that we have on CD. 
 I loved conference this past weekend. Aaron had to work on Saturday and by some miracle I was able to listen to almost all of both sessions.  (We don't have TV so the radio had to do)  When I was growing up conference seemed to last forever, now I can't get enough.  Each day I am trying to do better.  To enjoy each moment. Good or bad.... and count my many many blessings!

4 comments:

Kristy E.B. said...

Sorry Brook is sick. Wow, Carter is getting big and looks like Aaron and Anna to me. Do you feel like you're on "carpet control" all the time with a crawler? I do! Email me your address. Jazlyn made some pictures she wants to send to your girls. We sure miss you guys!

CarrieAnne said...

You are amazing Jamie. Thats all! :)

Each Life that Touches Ours for Good said...

After today you must know who much I love you!!! I am so proud of you and Aaron... keep up the good work... they are gone in the blink of an eye! mOm

Rachel said...

The kids look huge!!!!! Toothless and all. Another good read, Positive Discipline A to Z. We are reading it, Lisa bought it and loves it, and many of my grandma's collegues at the hospital. Anyway, this was a great update post! And, I WANT Ruby! If we ever get a dog, that is the size! Talk soon.