Friday, May 28, 2010

{the re-read}

A few weeks back I was browsing our "home library" and came across this book that I read years ago.  I picked it up and thought I would skim through it again and see how things stood out to me now.  I think things take on new meaning after you have experienced more and been thorough more together.  Anyhow,  I just wanted to recommend this book to ....... EVERYONE! Even if you are not married, or are engaged, married 2 years, married 20+ years.  I love Dr. Laura's no non-sense attitude and how she says thing how they are. Here are  a few quotes that I love and I think embody what this book is about.

"This is not your typical marriage manuel. Not by a long shot.  I'm not going to present the usual psychobabble. nonsense that has been dominating the marital therapy field since the sixties which condemns masculinity and disdains femininity, considering both some kind of disorder while striving for the destructive lie of unisexuality.  In addition to being utterly ridiculous, believing in "sameness" generates a sense of lack of respect for and a denial of your need for the qualities of the other gender. A respect and admiration for the qualities of the opposite gender will feed you in ways you've ignored or never imagined." (introduction)

"If one doesn't understand, admire, respect, and at times forgive, the nuances of the opposite sex, then the beauty and satisfaction that can arise from the uniting of man and woman in the most important covenant of marriage will not be discovered and enjoyed." (p. 11) 

I really feel like there is something in this book to help every marriage.  You may think, "my marriage is really good." Then great!  That is how I feel about mine :) Our marriages though will go through phases or great times and times that will test us. Whether it be the birth of our children, loss of jobs, illness or transgressions.  Through my re-read, I found things that I could be doing better.  One thing in particular is to stop keeping score.  Quit having things be a power struggle.  Learn to appreciate more

It is a great read full of examples of real couples! 

I hope it can bless your marriage as it has mine
                                                          (Her other book, Proper care and feeding of husbands is great too)

5 comments:

Samye said...

I have never read this one of hers....love the proper care and feeding of husbands so I will have to try this one!!!

Ellingsons said...

I just caught up on all your latest posts. You have been busy! Women's Conference looked fun. One of these days I'm going to go to that. Looks like a great, uplifting girl's week. Your Mother's Day pictures are great...you look so good pregnant. I know it doesn't feel so good but at least you look good doing it. With Anna and Brook so different looking, I can't wait to see your little guy!

Rohatinskys said...

AAAAAAmmmeenn! I LOVED this book and now that you posted this it makes me want to re-read it too. No matter what state your marriage is in you can always do better and I loved how it made me think about what I (I would put "I" in bold and italics if I could) could do better and how I could improve. I haven't read the Proper Care & Feeding of Husbands yet...so I'll have to get that one!

Alison said...

Now I'll have to read this one. I LOVED The Proper Care & Feeding of Husband and love her style as well. Thanks for the recommendation. Can't wait to go get it!

Erin said...

my mom gave this book to me when i got married. but lets be honest... the book is basically about...if we get them lots of sex we can get anything we want. funny cause it's all very common sense!