I like to think of myself as someone who has a tender heart. I have always been someone who wants to help, always felt so fortunate for what I have been blessed with. Where we live there are many homeless who stand on corners with signs, and look like they need so much help. Each time I drive by I always look for something I can give even if it is small. Sometimes I'll have an extra fruit leather or a sandwich that I'll hand though the window and I drive by. It never seems like enough.
When I was in Jr. high I traveled with family to an orphanage in Mexico for a couple of Christmas' to pass out gifts to the children who lived there. It was such a stark contrast when we would travel over the boarder to their little town. The streets, car, homes, businesses. We were told not to drink the water and had to be careful what we ate. What a profound experience that we had and I am grateful that I was able to experience those grateful children and to realize how much I really had.
We also went on Christmas Eve with some ward family members to a building in downtown LA, that housed the homeless. We packed food, small gifts, and smiles and passed them out door to door. I'll never forget some of their faces. So grateful that someone had remembered them.
The point I am getting at is that I think so many of us want to help and make a difference. I love to see groups that show up after disasters and help people rebuild their home. I love to see doctors and nurses who volunteer their time to help treat those who are so in need, in our country and abroad. I love shows like Extreme home makeover that can make such a difference in people's lives.
I came across two blogs that I love to read that talked about THIS charity. It is called.
Water For Christmas
With thanksgiving approaching my mind as turned to all I have. This charity helps drill for clean water in Africa. I know that there are so so many charities and things that ask for donations this time of year, but they are asking for just $10. Not Toys or clothes or food.
Just $10 will provide 1 person clean water for 10 years.
Also what I love is that they are training and educating the people so that they can be self sustaining but they need help to get started.
Please watch the video on the above link. I made my donation and I hope if you can, you will too.
I am so blessed. I think my kids can do without a stocking stuffer to help bless the lives of our brother and sisters in Africa.


Clover Lane wrote a beautiful post on this subject





4 comments:
What a cool idea, I'll have to check into it.
Thanks for giving us an idea of an important way to help others who are less fortunate. We really have so much and $10 is nothing when you see what it can do for someone for ten years. That's amazing.
~Mandy
This may sound stupid but do you know about UNICEF? Maisey came home with a collection box for change 2 weeks ago and we filled it full! People were so supportive of giving money since it was for the very vital necessity of clean water! Very cool ide!
Thank you for posting this--I donated and then watched a YouTube video about what this group has done--it made me BAWL. I'm so glad you told me about it!
Post a Comment