Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Blog vent

Today I am not having fun being a mom. I hate to admit this out loud but I just can't help it. Hopefully writing will help me release some frustration. The day started out promising. Anna had preschool so I had some errands planned for Brook and I. We hit Costco for gas ($1.71 woohoo) and a few things and then to the library to return a few movies. We picked up Anna from school at noon and then headed home for lunch. Then 1pm rolled around and yeah, it was now time for Brooklyn's nap. This is when it all went down hill fast. Brooklyn refused to stay in her bed and it didn't matter how many times I went and put her back in (probably a dozen) I gave up. Sorry super nanny. She'd be so disappointed.
I figured she just wouldn't nap today. Anna didn't want to lie down either so by 3 pm I had two cranky girls. They were fighting and making messes and Anna said that she hated this day because she didn't want to clean up. Another thing, they will both not leave our Christmas tree alone. They have already broke two ornaments. When telling my mom my about my tree delema she said, "well there needs to be a consequence if they don't listen." Sounds easy enough. Not when Brooklyn is the culprit though. Time outs are exhausting. She does not stay on the chair or in the corner. She actually thinks its very funny and makes a game out of it. She gets off, then runs around the corner and says, "I'm off." Anna doesn't help by whispering quietly like the little devil on Brook's shoulder, telling her to run and hide from me. Today it felt like they were ganging up on me.... and they are only 2 and 4! Finally I took all of the ornaments off the tree and explained to them that if they couldn't leave them alone, we wouldn't have them on at all. Anna preceeded to have a melt down because the tree wasn't pretty anymore. I can't win. It doesn't help that Aaron has been working 12 hour days and anytime I try to enforce anything they say, "I want DAD!" I feel bad making him feel bad because he can't help it but, I am pretty close to being all tuckered out. They need their daddy and I need .... some help!

7 comments:

Ellingsons said...

What a day and bedtime hasn't even hit! :) I hope it's all settle by the time you're reading this and I hope your plopping yourself on your couch for a good movie or jumping in the tub for a relaxing bath. If it makes you feel better the other day I told Will motherhood is so over-rated sometimes (and at the same time I was saying that I still knew I would NEVER want it any other way). Oh and on that day my day wasn't near as exhausting as yours sounds, so your venting is sooo warranted. :)

Ali said...

I so appreciate your honesty. I was about to share similar feelings in my post tonight until Eliza redeemed herself by asking to cuddle with me. But seriously, it is so difficult at times. I feel like Mommy the Monster some days and ask if something is wrong with me for not having the required patience or what... and yes, I think you're justified for wanting and needing support. You can't blame husbands who are working hard for us or Church callings because they're doing the best they can... but to be honest Andrew does get an earful from me when I'm not receiving the help I need when I feel so overwhelmed. Good luck. I need to learn to stay firm and not always give in to make the whining go away... anyway - that was probably more than you wanted to hear from me. Again, thanks for your honesty. It's always refreshing when blog hopping.

Rachel said...

Oh, and I started to dial your nuber at 4:50. I guess you would have been blogging, judging by the time, but I hung up because I didn't want to interrupt the preparation of dinner. Maisey is having an all to common (lately anyway) dramatic evening. Kids are just so hard to reason with sometimes. I'm sorry your day was rough. I hope Aaron sees a milk shake won't completely make it better, but some alone time might. Hopefully you can enjoy yourself tomorrow at the x-mas enrichment and that Aaron is truly done tomorrow with all those State returns. Maybe you can get a couple evenings "off" from putting the girls to bed. Boy, its 6:55 and I really hopw they're going down for you right now.

Kristy E.B. said...

Sorry you had such a rough day. I hear you---motherhood is exhausting!! Some days I just want to use a "sick day" or "vacation day" and have someone else take over for a day while I have a break. When those days hit, I try really hard to think about Elder Ballard's conference talk 2 conferences ago about how one day years from now we will miss these days. Even those it's hard to imagine, I know that one day I will miss these days, even though sometimes I want to pull my hair out!!! Call for a play date!

~Fawn said...

Hang in there Jamie!!
It gets "different" with age
I won't say better because the challenges just change.
Some things get easier-like the potty training thing
well, until you have another baby anyways...lol
but hey, maybe the next one will be a boy-they're much easier to potty train
sometimes
ok, so not giving you a pep talk-cause in the "war" of motherhood there is no pep talk-just love and patience and bubble baths
hey, I want that virtual pd btw
lol
hugs
Fawn

Erin said...

hillarious! ok i only say that because i dont have kids yet. but seriously...you gotta love anna being the little devil on brooklyns shoulder! That is the funniest...these are the days I don't look forward to as a mom. just go and take a time out for yourself for 5 min and breath...not everyday is like that!

Gina woodhouse said...

Wow, that cartoon really looked like Carly and Kalei's room after a nap! They used to trash their room. All the books were pulled off the bookshelves, the lampshade was thrown across the room (Carly even burned herself on the bulb once and we were off to the E.R.), they took off their diapers (we finally had to duct tape them on), every toy was thrown out of the toy chest, and then they would finally fall asleep, exhausted, on their little bean bag chairs. This was after having to put them back in their room multiple times and adjusting the gate so they couldn't keep climbing over it. Speaking of gates...we used one to block off the Christmas tree and the big screen tv (which worked for awhile until they climbed over and wrote on the tv with crayon). Whew! Sorry for the long comment. I didn't realize I had so many nightmares (memories) still stored up about naptime. Haha. Guess I needed to vent. :)