Friday, August 15, 2008

My little "carrots"

Today when I took the girls to the library, they were insistent on getting a drink at the drinking fountain.(A ritual we have to do each time we go) Usually I have to lift each one up while simultaneously trying to push the button, and balance them so they don't get drenched from water dribbling down their faces. Today Anna informed me very matter of factly that she could do it by herself. She walked over pushed the button, got on her tippy toes and got a drink. I started to get emotional. I don't even know why. (Side note: I've been getting emotional a lot lately, when I see the flag, hear the national anthem, the Olympics is a bad combination for me, or hear a sappy song. and no, I am NOT pregnant) Anyways, the simple act declaring her independence was scary to me. As a mom I worry so much, too much Aaron would say, and I am scared about her growing up. Granted, it would be nice if she could wipe her own bottom, but secretly I want her to stay my little bubbly, snuggely, red head. She is very smart and assertive and isn't afraid to tell me exactly what she thinks. She has a temper sometimes to match her hair, and I just hope as a mom I can teach her the things she'll need to make good choices and to be able to navigate this sometimes tricky world. I love her and Brooklyn more than words can say and feel truly blessed to be a mom!

3 comments:

Katie and Kyle said...

You're such a cute mom! My husband gets so worried about the kids growing up and I get sooo excited and 'proud' when they learn something new. I'm sure you're such a great friend and teacher to your kids. It's fun to see you and your fam.

Kristy E.B. said...

Glad you had fun on your trip. I feel like I haven't seen you guys for forever!

ABBOTTLAND said...

That is so sweet. It is so hard to see your kids grow up, especially your first born. I have those moments all the time where I wonder where the time went and dreading the day that they leave for school or no longer depend on me so much. It's heartbreaking, but now we now what our parents went through and especially our Father in Heaven.