Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Our Garden


Well not really a garden, but I wanted to share our little plant we have been growing together over the past couple of months. I love avocados, so one time after dinner I thought, "Hey, I think the girls would enjoy seeing this seed grow and seeing what happens with it over time." Sure enough it has been fun to watch they get so excited as the pit began to split and eventually grow roots and a stem. It ends up growing to be a tree so I'm not sure how not we'll keep it up but it has been fun. I highly recommend doing it will your kids. Its very easy.

1. Soak an avocado pit over night in water
2. Next day, place three tooth picks about 1/3 of the way up from the fat end.
3. Place the avocado in a small cup where the bottom 1/3 is resting in the water, supported by the tooth picks.
4. Watch, wait and enjoy
5. Water periodically as needed. DON'T change out the water completely, just top off the glass as needed so the bottom stays submerged. If the water get murky and nasty you have to start over :( Mine worked great the first time. Have fun and I'd love to see your plants in a couple of months.

5 comments:

Denise Stears said...

That is such a cute idea. I'll have to try it.

Michelle and Judson said...

sick! totally compulsive:o) all those roots growing out, ew don't say that word...root

Rachel said...

Mmmm... During this pregnancy I have discovered a love for avacados. We will have to try that but our kitchen doesn't face the sun so we will have to see. Thanks for the step-by-step.

Stewart Family said...

I got Kinlees dress at Kmart for $12. Good deal huh? They had such cute dresses this year. Fun avacado plant, Marc had one at work, but he got impatient, I guess it took to long to grow.

Brady Fam said...

What a cute idea! Avocados are great! That would have been fun to use in my classroom last year. We did potatoes, so avocado would have been fun too.