Wednesday, October 26, 2011

you find what you are looking for

First.... a little background.

Soon after my mOm and Alain were married (I was 12 years old) he and my sister Aubrey were on a run and they found a rock that was shaped like a heart, and brought it home for mOm.  Since then it had been something that Alain was always on the hunt for. It became a tradition for Alain to find and bring home rocks shaped like hearts. Over the past 14 years or so my mom has collected dozens of heart rocks! 

My mOm has had many people ask her, "How did he find them."  She will reply that Alain always said.... "You find what you are looking for."  It is now a tradition that I hope to pass onto my family. Brooklyn will search when we are out for heart rocks and brought me home a beauty the other day.  What an amazing lesson for life

"You find what you are looking for"

That brings me to my next point. I really like to know what is going on in the world. Politics, world news, social trends (good and bad) church news ect. I watch and read the news daily. I majored in sociology because I love people. I love to watch people, study why people do things, nature vs nurture...you get the idea.

Some days though I find myself feeling very down, discouraged and defeated. There is so much in our world that is so wrong.  Violent angry protests, famine, wars, injustice, crime, disease. Some problems seem so big that a person could just want to give up.  The Gospel of Jesus Christ  gives hope and peace but sometimes I still harbor fear for my children and their generation. 

That is when I came across this program (Thanks mOm)

It is called Turning Point
(and worth every minute... seriously please make time to  watch these.. you'll be changed) 

It highlights everyday people who have made an extraordinary difference in the lives of others. I encourage everyone to watch these and pass them along to others. Instead of getting caught up in all the negativity that is all around us, I am going to Choose to look for good, to be inspired by those around me.  I may not be able to start a non-profit organization (right now) or travel the world.... but I can make a difference today  first in my own family, in my community, for neighbors and strangers a like.  There is a time and a season for all things but I know that in our lives if we choose to look for good, for ways to be an instrument  for our Heavenly Father to bless the lives of His children no matter who they are, we will be able to find the happiness that we are all looking for!





5 comments:

Star 6 said...

You mom is just an inspiration to us both. And thank you for sharing your thoughts about this.

Kristy E.B. said...

Loved your post and it's title--so true! Thanks for the inspiration.

Jenna said...

awesome...I'm glad you're keeping up the tradition!!

Michelle and Judson said...

I made a big ol comment and then it deleted it. anyway, thanks for the thought, it's been on my mind too

Melissa said...

So true!
p.s. I love that Turning Point. Andy's brother works for BYUTV and showed us the pilot. Love it! So inspiring. Thanks for reminding me about it.