Thursday, January 7, 2010

Dads vs. Moms

Maybe I have noticed this because lately I have been "out of commission" not feeling well, but in the last little while I have realized that Aaron and I do things very differently in regards to our kids in some areas.
Example #1: Over Christmas at his parents, Aaron suggests at 8:30pm that we put in a movie for the girls. What?!? Ever heard of Bedtime.
Example #2: Last night Aaron begins to Spring clean the girls room, including organizing toys, vacuuming etc. at 7:30. Ya bedtime begins at 7pm. Needless to say the girls were not asleep until late.
Example #3: Currently happening in my kitchen. Aaron proceeds to start making cookies with the girls at 7:30 so he can make pizookies for the girls before bed.
Maybe bedtime is my anal, Nazi thing because I am a drill Sargent when it comes to punctuality on bedtime. When I am the boss story time, scripture reading, song singing, teeth brushing, pj getting on-ing (Is that a word) is very strictly enforced.
I really can't complain because I am feeling pretty crappy today/and pretty much the last 8 weeks and really am NO help at all. I just realized that he is a great dad, and just happens to do bedtime very differently than me. I must let go my control.
Hard to do... for me :)
Anyone else for sugaring their kids up an hour before bed?
Love you Babe!

8 comments:

Rachelle said...

I'm Nazi mom about bedtime too! I'm so excited for your new one on the way. I just hope the baby sickness eases up soon!

Rachel said...

"...when it comes to puncuality on bedtime...!" Girl, you and I are punctual for everything! I'm sorry things went down hill since I talked to you at 8:30 AM, but I thought I'd take my chance then and see how you were! I miss you feeling good!

Samye said...

Don't you love sweet husbands! Hoping you still get feeling better!!

Unknown said...

YES! Last night Brent was sword fighting with Garrett at 7:15! It is hard to say no when they are having so much fun...but it is time for bed! I have to say Brent is a great dad he just does things his own say.

Ali said...

Andrew supports the early bed time thing at our house but has no concept of time management (my strength) whatsoever. This may sound harsh or lame (or whatever) but if I have to go to Church before he does, I set a timer on my oven so he is reminded when to start putting the kids in their car seats, etc. He is the King of "It's 7:00 p.m. already... really?!?" We actually used a timer last night so he would be reminded when to start the kid's bath when I was out buying grocerys. How Nazi is that?!? It works well for us both though!

FEEL BETTER SOON!!!

Brad said...

Our kids went to bed at 9:30 last night. Then they woke up at 8:30 this morning in time to eat breakfast with me. We usually stay up until midnight or later, so I guess our schedule is just shifted.

Julie and Pete said...

Yes, it just so happens that last night my kids all went to bed about an hour late because I made apple dumplings for them. I didn't start making them until 8pm. Is that bad?? I do have to say that bedtime is an important time for me. I finally get to breathe after dealing with the kids for the day. Also, how do you know all of these things? Aren't you asleep by 7?

Erin said...

its a dad thing, james was doing that to brady last night before bed time. luckily brady has no issues going to bed post sugar. always gotta be a good guy and a bad guy! it's also cause dad's don't have to deal with the day after going to bed late. hope you feel better soon!