Yesterday I read in the Ensign Magazine the talk entitled,
All of us are responsible to provide for ourselves and our families in both temporal and spiritual ways. To provide providently, we must practice the principles of provident living: joyfully living within our means, being content with what we have, avoiding excessive debt, and diligently saving and preparing for rainy-day emergencies. When we live providently, we can provide for ourselves and our families and also follow the Savior’s example to serve and bless others.
Thou Shalt not covet
I realized that I spend to much of my time focusing on all the things that I feel I need to have. Always thinking that the next thing/or stage in my life is going to make me more complete.
Some things on my list
1. A new camera. The one we want is over $1,000. Not now.
2. A house. Have you seen the prices in the Northwest?
3. A car that has power windows and locks.... ok I really do think I deserve that at least. I'm to the point where I'm willing to get pregnant to get a new car. J/K
4. A garden/backyard. I love to garden
boy I'm a little embarrassed to go on.
I know that to a certain extent it is natural to want new things and have goals and wants for your families future. The question that has been weighing Heavily on my mind is how to achieve the
Joy of being Content
In my mind I know that I have so much and am so blessed. My husband has a great job that provided for our family and works so hard each day, two beautiful daughters who challenge and bless me on a daily basis, we are healthy. I don't have to give my kids medication each day or wrap burns, or go to physical therapy. We have the gospel.
Some days it is hard though with QVC (which I love and Aaron despises) showing you Everything you have to have, and blogs who connect you with everyone in your past and then their friends (I know I blog hop sometimes) I get to see everyone adorable houses, yards, vacations, newest custom blog heading, baby nurseries, newest crafty creation, or new home business. I also know that I have found great ideas, recipes and other women who have inspired me to be a better person. I'm trying to find the balance.
Like I said, My name is Jamie and I have a problem
I need to find contentment and joy in what I have now, prepare wisely for our future, because someday it could all be gone. Thanks for surviving through one of my "keeping it real" posts.
What has helped you?






8 comments:
Thanks for sharing these thoughts. I love the keeping it real posts. I was in need of the reminders too. The quotes were great. I wish I could have seen your performance!
Thanks for sharing- and asking. About the play, I totally couldn't help but think how perfect your part was for you! I really seriously wondered if you volunteered for it!
What keeps me going and content? Well, I hate to sound like a broken record, but we are ALWAYS told when we are down and thinking of ourselves (or our wants, etc...), serve others! If you serve, serve, and serve, you won't even have time to think about yourself- but, like you said, balance! In the last week I've been thinking, am I too busy? Most people would say "yes," but keeping busy with daily responsibilities and service in my "spare" time ensures me that I will always feel joy. A couple years ago I even wondered if I was serving for the wrong reason because although I wouldn't tell people what I was doing, people in my ward would find out and draw attention to the deeds at hand. I had to step back and make sure I was serving for the right reason becasue I liked it so much!
This by the way is my new favorite quote:
"I shall pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." - Mahatma Gandhi
I guess what helps me sometimes is remembering that the other people who have the things you want and may be envious of probably also have trials and issues in their lives that maybe you don't even know about and if you did, you'd probably be even more grateful for where you are and what you have. And remember, "The best things in life aren't things."
you first three wants are my three wants! i think many of us suffer from this same thing. I have no problem admitting that we are poor poor poor. I get depressed when we can't afford great vacations, new toys, or just living without having to budget our lives to a penny. but then I wonder, how many of those people are in debt because of all the material things? I always just remember that I have a great family, a fun life (that is up to me) and the gospel. those are what are important and what we take with us in the next life...not all the materials things we just want so we feel like we match with the other people! you are doing great and you seem to have fabulous balance!
Dude, I'm right there with you. We finally got our second car, but it shriveled our house fund a bit. I am mostly anxious for a house so I can have a garden and yard too. But you guys have been smart not to buy yet. We'd be ~$80k upside down if we had bought when we moved here.
You know what makes me feel better? Calculate the mortgage that you guys could reasonably afford, and then look for houses in that range every month or so on Redfin or Zillow. As home prices drop, the houses in that range get better and better. Two years ago, we were looking at little moldy shacks. Now we're starting to see great starter homes with plenty of room. Sorry for the long comment.
What a great post! I'm mostly checking out the comments to see everyone's suggestions because I could use them. For me, after all the positive thinking has evaporated from my brain and I need a quick fix I remember how bad some others have it and it makes me grateful for all the things (material and not) around me.
Kyle had to work that day of conference, and I took some notes so I could talk to him about the talks later. I went on and on about how I bawled during that talk. It was funny because the message wasn't the usual "bawl through the talk" kind of a message, but the Spirit was remarkably strong and the message very powerful. I think being in tune with the Spirit and recognizing those promptings is huge. We'll always be guided to see our shortcomings and always be lead to ways of overcoming them if we're listening.
Oh, don't be so hard on yourself! We all feel those feeling once in awhile! It could always be worse....your husband could be in the military and you could move around the country a bajillion times, see?!!:) JK, life is good!
Post a Comment