Thursday, January 29, 2009

Happenings

I feel like the month of January has just flown by. We've been very busy. Ever since our trip to Idaho for Christmas, Brooklyn completely regressed with potty training. It was so stressful because January was my month to teach/aid for Anna's preschool and I feel so bad when she wets/poops at someone else's house. Luckily she is going much better in the Pee Pee department but poop.... well that is another story. TMI.. I know. Besides the potty issues, Brooklyn is just a joy! Her smile melts my heart! She loves to give kisses and tell you that she loves you. Aaron and I just laugh at her because every night after we put her into bed she come out at least 6 times to tell us she has a tummy ache, or ask if we can have pancakes in the morning, or she can't find a book, or that she loves us. Anything she can think of. I'm done getting up set. I just give more kisses and eventually she falls asleep. She also eventually ends up in bed with us when we wake up in the morning. I hate it, but Aaron is such a softy and doesn't take her back to her bed when she wanders in. She's learned to go to his side so she can stay. :) I love that girl and I can't believe that she is going to be three in March. Where does time go?

This morning for preschool we toured the Costco bakery. It was so fun. They made each of the kids their very own Costco name tags, and we "got" to wear hair-nets, (the girls thought that was so cool) At one point Brooklyn leaned over and stroked my head and said, "mommy, you have such a beautiful hat." Not so much and sorry, no photo of me in my "beautiful hat" Brook always knows how to make me smile. They showed us their huge ovens, mixers, freezer/refrigerators, and even made our groups giant chocolate cupcakes with tons of frosting and sprinkles for them to decorate at the end of our tour. Talk about a sugar rush!

I love Anna's big bite. The cupcakes were HUGE!




Also today Anna started a tumbling/dance class at our local rec center. I wasn't sure how she would do but she did great! She looked like she had so much fun and I can't wait to see her grow and become more independent. In the Fall she did a swimming class but she was always so cold that she didn't really enjoy herself. Needless to say she was happy to hear she didn't have to get into a pool for this class.


I am staying busy. I am glad that teaching preschool is over for this month. I only teach two more times for the year and then I get to start getting my brain ready for Anna's kindergarten this Fall. Aaron and I have decided that we are going to do the Oregon Virtual Academy for her and I am felling really good about it. I don't know what to expect exactly but I know we'll just learn as we go. Aaron is starting to get geared up for the infamous "busy season." It seems like it is starting earlier this year than last year. To be honest I am just really grateful that right now he has a great job and that it provides us the things that we need. I love my little family and count my blessings each and everyday. Until next time!

PS: Many people have wondered about the Virtual academy that we are doing. The program is in most states so if you care you can check out more information click HERE. These are a few things we like about it:
1. Free curriculum provided by an excellent company (K12) Its free because you are still considered public school, so the money that would be attached to your child to go to public school instead pays for this program. They even include art supplies, some musical instruments, all copies etc.
2. They provide you with a computer and reimburse you for your Internet
3. A credentialed teacher assigned for your child that provides help and support.
4. Your child can move at their own pace for the most part. So if they are better at a subject they can move ahead, if they need more time on one subject you can spend more time. It is all scheduled out and structured though so I don't have to worry about putting together my own lessons.
5. Field trips set up for your child and kids their own age in the program.
6. The over-all flexibility it will give us as a family. Many people say, "what about the social aspects?" My resonse to that is another post. :) There will be plently of time for music lessons, dance/athletic classes/playdates, field trips etc. Don't get me going. :)

I know this kind of thing isn't for everyone, but I get a lot of questions.....

11 comments:

Adrianna said...

Cute post! I was checking out that K12 thing and it looks really cool! Good for you guys!

Rachel said...

Wow, you guys are bery busy! I am so jealous about the home school... I REALLY want to do it, particularly when she's older (middle school up) and maybe Chad could handle that by then since I've heard once they hit 4TH or so grade the lessons are written to them. I just don't think he could do it with Ryley being so little and me working...

About "feeling bad when Brooklyn poops at other people's houses," she is such a little doll with such a sweet little voice, nobody could ever get bothered by that- honestly! She can poop where she wants when she comes to our house!

And WOW, Costco was SWEET to you guys. Every time I see those darn cupcakes I totally want one. I even complain to Chad that I think they should sell them individually in their snack bar. And who can buy them, preschoolers can't or shouldn't eat one of those- heck an adult shouldn't), and kids don't want to share and have only half even though the equivalent of a half = 2 standard cupcakes!

Tubling looks fun. I think she will love it. Maybe we can come watch when she's more use to it.

And, yeah for the busy season b/c he's at least getting a paycheck- as you said...

Have a good night!-R
Since Christmas break- or the party, I have seriously felt like I haven't seen you at all and that we live at least a state a way. When this terms over we've got to change that! You're probably too busy to think of crafts projects right now but I'm always looking. Hair things are next!

I can't wait for the warm sun so we can randomly go to the spray park!

Each Life that Touches Ours for Good said...

What can a "Nana" say every time she comments, other than she has the most beautiful, clever, smart grandchildren EVER!! Anna looks too grown up in the picture of her on the tumbling mat. They both are so cute you want to just grab through the picture and kiss their little soft cheeks! I'm coming soon....

mOm

AMY MICHELLE said...

I didn't know Costco did tours, how fun! Those cupcakes look so yummy! You sure are staying busy. I love watching Kayla in gymnastics, I bet you feel the same way with Anna. They are just so cute.

Denise Stears said...

How fun to go to Costco. Those cupcakes do look huge. I've been struggling to get Macey in a preschool here. They are all a year waiting list, so hopefully this summer or fall we will get into something. Good luck with everything during this busy tax season. April will be here before you know it.

Courtney B said...

Your kids are so cute!
I'd love to talk to you more about that K12 program! I've been seriously thinking about doing some sort of home schooling type program, but am not too sure about it yet (plus, I have a couple years).

Michelle and Judson said...

HI Jamie, love the pic's of the the little angels. Love, Di

Anonymous said...

Wow--you guys have the coolest field trips ever! Who needs public schools when you've got real life outings to experience like these! :)

Michelle and Judson said...

You gotta love Costco right? I'll tell ya what, just for doing that makes me want to shop there more. How fun would that be. I want to say I'm on a field trip so I can eat a gigantic cupcake!

Gina woodhouse said...

Great idea for a field trip. My girls did restaurant field trips for Girls Scouts/Joy School too and those were always a big hit. Your girls are such cuties, so beautiful! Enjoy this time and good luck with the virtual school.

Brady Fam said...

How fun! My friend and I are definitely going to try out the Costco tour here. Thanks for all the update. My sister (remember Erin) has been doing homeschool, some is K12. You can get tons online now, so that helps for sure.